Lead Software Engineer (Scala/Java)
At LSEG (London Stock Exchange Group), we are more than a leading global financial markets infrastructure and data group. We are dedicated partners with a deep commitment to excellence, delivering value for our customers. We're leaders in data and analytics, risk, collateral and processing solutions, capital formation and trade execution. With us you get the level of influence and opportunity that you'd have at a startup, combined with the large-scale impact of working at a global company.
In this role, you'll be joining our FX Trade Surveillance team as a Lead Software Engineer. Our FX trading venues produce vast amounts of data - we build distributed big data applications to analyse that data, looking for suspicious or adverse trading behaviours, to ensure we are meeting our regulatory obligations.
We process millions of FX trade messages every day through our Hadoop stack (including Spark, HDFS, Impala, HBase, Hive and Kafka). We're responsible for delivering distributed big data solutions (usually written in Scala) to process that data. In our teams you might be working with a trading venue that needs regulatory reports developing for the first time, building new trade surveillance capabilities aimed at detecting attempts to manipulate the markets, or helping to deliver applications that give our customers insights into the transaction costs they incur and ways they can reduce them.
- Contribute to & lead design, development and maintenance of new products & features utilizing advanced highly scalable Big data distributed platforms
- Build and enhance sophisticated Analytics and Surveillance algorithms and contribute to & lead greenfield projects
- Work as part of a Scrum team, contributing to Agile SDLC processes and supporting more junior members of the team
- Engage with stakeholders to understand their requirements & develop a solid understanding of the business domain
- Coach & mentor the team in development best practices, ensuring delivery with high quality and robust solutions
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Technology and Business stakeholders
- Contributing towards resolving bugs and Production outages
- Operating at an expert level in Scala and/or Java
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Proven track record leading development teams & ownership of applications and platforms
- Excellent communication & articulation skills, with the ability to influence decisions
Additional Skills and Experience
- Some knowledge of, or willingness to learn, technologies such as HDFS, Spark, Hive, Impala, HBase and Oozie
- Solid understanding Functional Programming paradigm
- Unit and Integration testing
- Proficient with version-control solutions such as Git or SVN
- Continuous integration (Gitlab, Bamboo, Jenkins) and/or deployment (Puppet)
- Experience working in Agile Scrum methodologies
- Build tools (Maven, SBT or Gradle)
- Linux and bash/ruby scripting
- Proficient with SQL
- Understanding of FX financial markets
- Knowledge of Cloudera a plus
- Knowledge on AWS cloud-based development
We are looking for intellectually curious people, passionate about the bigger picture of how technology industry is evolving, ready to ask difficult questions and deal with complicated scenarios. If you are creative and a problem solver, this is the place to be as will be supporting you to fast-forward your career.
We maximize each employee's potential through personal development and through a wide range of learning tools both formal and informal. We believe that remunerating our people with competitive salaries and a range of attractive benefits such as:
25 days' holiday per year
1 additional day off for your Birthday
Annual wellness allowance
Share Purchase Plan
Medical Health Insurance
Medical Subscription (preventive medical services)
Pillar 3 Private Pension
At LSEG, we believe that creating a diverse and inclusive organisation is fundamental to the way we deliver on our promise of creating essential partnerships and open opportunities. Our open culture is central to how we deliver our purpose - driving financial stability, empowering economies and enabling customers to create sustainable growth - in everything we do.
Working with us means that you will be part of a dynamic organisation of 25,000 people across 70 countries. However, we will value your individuality and enable you to bring your true self to work so you can help enrich our diverse workforce. You will be part of a collaborative and creative culture where we encourage new ideas and are committed to sustainability across our global business. You will experience the critical role we have in helping to re-engineer the financial ecosystem to support and drive sustainable economic growth. Together, we are aiming to achieve this growth by accelerating the just transition to net zero, enabling growth of the green economy and creating inclusive economic opportunity.
LSEG offers a range of tailored benefits and support, including healthcare, retirement planning, paid volunteering days and wellbeing initiatives.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. This means that we do not discriminate on the basis of anyone's race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. Conforming with applicable law, we can reasonably accommodate applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Please take a moment to read this privacy notice carefully, as it describes what personal information London Stock Exchange Group (LSEG) (we) may hold about you, what it's used for, and how it's obtained, your rights and how to contact us as a data subject.
If you are submitting as a Recruitment Agency Partner, it is essential and your responsibility to ensure that candidates applying to LSEG are aware of this privacy notice.