Technical Lead (API Expansion Team)
To position MassMutual as a market leader for the next stage of growth, it is critical that we build top engineering capacity in a rapidly changing digital world. Romania has a significant pool of highly trained engineering professionals and so we are very excited to build operations in both Bucharest and Cluj.Requirements
• 8 or more years of experience with designing and implementing complex solutions
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering field
• Leadership - We need a leader with team spirit and someone who can coach others to be better.
• Quality Mindset – shift left mentality. A leader who has experience partnering with SDETs and automation of testing, believing in the fact that quality is accountability of the team and not just QA.
• Critical Thinking - Open to support current APIs & guide teams if needed when they are on call
• Agile Delivery - Comfortable with agile delivery/methodology (grooming, story pointing, acceptance criteria, definition of done).
• Experience with Java web applications
• Java Message Service (JMS) knowledge and experience
• Experience in developing REST services using Java or Node.js
• Spring Framework knowledge and experience
• Able to implement processes and troubleshoot to continue to improve operational stability
• DevOps experience a plus
• Experience and understanding of Kubernetes (preferred)
• Experience with API Management Suite (Plus)
• Experience with generating technical documentation.
Our initial role and responsibility will be to work with Architecture, BA’s and other Technical teams to build out an “assessment” and high-level requirements and design for APIs.
Execution and Delivery:
• Delivery is a critical success factor for this role. You will need to lead multiple (one or two) scrum teams, multiple developers in the United States and potentially others in remote offshore locations. The role ensures timely completion of assigned work and helping the team to be successful.
• Lead the team through technical roadblocks, contributing technical development and design skills to the team.
• Partner with Project Managers / Scrum Leads and Delivery Lead in understanding the level of agility and adoption of delivery methodology; coaching other team members in doing so
• Working within project planning constraints, communicating any identified project risks and issues to the project manager accordingly
• Effectively lead the team to translate and breakdown business and design requirements into engineering tasks, partnering closely with the PO.
• Lead the team to build efficiencies in “developer on call” process to support maintenance and issue remediation of the APIs: Debugging existing software and correcting defects
• Guarantees the delivery. Overcomes obstacles. - Raise any risks identified/impediments/roadblocks and work through the mitigation/resolution in consultation/assistance/direction with/from leadership.
• Leads by example. Assists the teams he/she works with to make sure all individuals working on a build understand the goal, design and deliverables. Willing to be challenged and work through those differences.
Technical design & development:
• Provide technical expertise and leadership to design, development, implementation, testing, documentation, and operation of systems and/or applications that support Mass mutual applications/platforms & integrations.
• Build complex system components integrating appropriate technologies as needed (e.g. creation, processing and consumption of Restful API endpoints)
• Lead the design of database schema, query and aggregate data.
• Expertise in understanding of algorithms and data structures (core SE concepts such as sorting, inserting sort, merge sort etc.)
• Provide ongoing product support and maintenance to systems, with proven ability to think critically and componentize issues. Support other team members when they are stuck in debugging.
• Help others problem solve in team to resolve complex issues
• Analyze performance requirements & performance of current APIs and actively remediate tech debt with those.
• Assist in production setup, monitoring and roll out to partners
• Keep current with technology by spending at least 20% of time programming.
Software Engineering Excellence:
• Accountable for enforcing use of SE Excellence principles in the two scrum teams being managed.
• Writing or reviewing software system documentation and ability to share knowledge is a must
• Produce high quality work, that can be used to guide the work of other engineers, in order to lead by example.
• Guide the enhancements of our code libraries through code reviews that conveys a strategic vision.
• Focused on quality of the code and guide the team to use those principles- leveraging unit testing frameworks, reusable code design, clear documentation, pair programming, code reviews.
• Shift Left mentality - work side by side with Software Testers to ensure speed of delivery & quality of the final product
• Leverage unit testing frameworks, reusable code design, clear documentation, and code reviews.
• Build mindset of building excellence - avoid developing one person silos on the code (share knowledge)
• Contribute to the creation of content used to train other engineers on the use and organization of our libraries and frameworks in order to encourage reuse and consistency.
• Lead appropriate documentation, following SE principles to ensure knowledge is transitioned. If you are building a component or adding on to a component the readme for the project should be updated so that any other developer could pull down the code and leverage it.
• Mentor and guide the development efforts of other team members (around 7 developers including the team in Romania)
• Develop collaborative partnerships with internal partners
• Presenting to leadership and stakeholders and supporting coordination of technical decisions.
• Onboarding new team members to ensure they can get up to speed.
• Mentoring junior developers:
• Performing Code reviews (prior to QA team)
• Conducting Training session
• Documentation of standards / best practices
• Providing Fabric On call training
The Technical Lead will work from our Bucharest / Cluj office while collaborating with the Global MassMutual teams and provide support in the cloud operations area. The person who will join this role will report to a local manager based in Bucharest.
MassMutual’s Customer Experience organization is looking for a highly motivated Technical Lead to join a growing team. In this role, you will help implement enhancements to the company's digital and data infrastructure, supporting internal customer's operational needs.