Project Manager, Group Programme Management
Reporting to the Programme / Portfolio / Senior Project Manager, this role is responsible for managing one or more complex projects that involve multiple stakeholders, ensuring that project charters, integrated project plans, resource plans, and contingency plans are fully scoped and documented, and that appropriate risk management processes are in place.
The Project Manager leads the identification and development of project objectives, scope, plans, dependencies and success criteria in collaboration with the project sponsor and other stakeholders. The Project Manager will lead multiple work streams throughout the project lifecycle, ensuring high quality and cost effective deliverables.
• Direct project management of projects or work streams of large projects that may involve multiple internal and external stakeholders
• Develop the project charter, integrated project plan, resource plan, contingency plan, and related project management artefacts to meet project objectives, including recommendation as necessary
• Evaluate trade-offs between project size and complexity, cost, urgency, risk, and stakeholder value, prioritising high impact deadlines and activities
• Provide project analysis to facilitate senior stakeholder discussions and build a connection for negotiation
• Allocate resources in current and future projects based on the delivery tasks and milestones in the project plan
• Define and report on project progress and achievement of project milestones, regularly updating key stakeholders on project status & escalating issues quickly.
• Validate financial forecasts and provide on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures
• Partner with business sponsors to define success metrics and criteria
• Assess and resolve all high priority project risks as they are encountered
• Ensure all projects comply with LSEG Group standards of project methodology
• Continually update relevant business stakeholders of project status and periodically publish project status reports in accordance with Change Framework requirements.
• Serve as a subject matter expert in routinely briefing key stakeholders on different aspects of assigned initiatives
• Represent the project in various project governance and inter-department forums
• Define and track project tasks and milestones
• Ensure project meets success parameters stated in the business case
• Ensure end results are of the highest calibre with a clearly articulated scope and quantifiable business benefit
Governance and Risk Management
• Work with the Programme / Portfolio / Senior Project Managers to ensure adherence to the LSEG Group standards for governance and risk management
• Responsible for facilitating regular project meetings and follow-up with project team members as required.
• Responsible for the project wide implementation of processes, policies, and best-practice for change management where appropriate, ensuring (and measuring) adoption and effectiveness
• Preparation, collation, and distribution of project status reports, ad-hoc presentations, and reporting (including senior management reporting).
• Ensure governance procedures are adhered to, for example:
• All project artefacts maintained throughout the project lifecycle (plans, resourcing profiles, cost plans, benefits schedules, RAID items, Change Requests and status reports) are up-to-date, accurate, and follow group quality standards.
• Projects adhere to the change framework, use Group standard templates and are subject to the correct stage gate procedures throughout the project lifecycle
• Monitor and document adherence to the change framework, escalating issues as required
• Work with the Portfolio Manager / Programme / Senior Project Manager to understand and manage the delivery risk within the project – driving out, tracking, and reducing project level risks
• Recommend solutions to reduce probability and impact of risks,
• Adhere to the planning standards and process to ensure transparency on key deliverables and dependencies so that delivery can be tied to cost
• Ensure risk management & mitigation processes are followed within the project by team members.
• Manage the project budget request process and perform regular financial reviews to track and measure financial performance against plan at the project level.
• Work with the Portfolio PMO and Business to provide an accurate resource demand view for the project.
• Track and forecast key financial metrics against targets, preparing forecasts and budget reports within the mandated GPM tools and systems.
• Support the identification and analysis of potential solutions to financial issues, considering budget, organisational impact, and financial and operational cost/benefit.
• Responsible for the end to end requesting, tracking and closing of project purchase orders.
• Responsible for all project purchase orders to be raised within budget and receipted correctly within timescales as mandated by the latest process.
• Understand the roles, needs, and influence of different stakeholders and effective plan communications to provide appropriate and well timed updates.
• Establish effective working relationships with key stakeholders, demonstrating understanding of their perspective, proactivity and their delivery focus.
• Accountable for project level communications
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holder’s abilities)
• Continuously adopt a pragmatic, flexible and responsive approach.
• Maintain constructive and supportive working relationships with stakeholders across the group
Management of Risk
• Continually reassess the operational and project level risks by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of risks occurring.
• The role acts as a risk mitigating function by monitoring the delivery risks across the project and ensuring these are adequately managed
Observation of Internal Controls
• The jobholder will demonstrate and practice adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, the timely implementation of internal and external audit points.
Candidate Profile / Key Skills
• Strong planning, organisational, and coaching skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the proven ability to work effectively with all organisational levels
• Excellent at managing and influencing a wide network of stakeholders, including senior management, who can influence and build relationships
• Willing and able to challenge customers and stakeholders to better understand their needs
• Expert knowledge of financial, risk, and project management methodologies & tools
• Excellent documentation skills; ability to create high quality steering committee materials
• More than 5 years of project experience
• Educated to degree level or equivalent
• Global experience – working successfully with teams in multiple locations simultaneously
• Experience and knowledge of large scale, global, change programmes and portfolio management
• Experience in large investment banking or financial services organisations
• Background in working across a number of different sectors both business and IT related projects/programmes
• Knowledge of technology estates and technologies desirable