HELLA is a global, family-owned company listed on the stock exchange that employs some 38,000 members of staff at over 125 locations in some 35 countries. The HELLA Group develops and manufactures lighting and electronic components and systems for the automotive industry, and also has one of the largest trade organizations for automotive parts, accessories, diagnosis and services within Europe. In the Special Applications segment, HELLA also develops products for specialist vehicles. Complete vehicle modules, air-conditioning systems and vehicle electrical systems are produced in joint venture companies. With almost 7,000 people working in research and development, HELLA is one of the most important innovation drivers on the market. HELLA has achieved sales of around 6.6 billion Euros in fiscal year 2016/2017; in addition, the HELLA Group is one of the top 40 automotive parts suppliers in the world and one of the 100 largest German industrial companies.
• In order to join us, you should have experience in the development of the optical systems within automotive industry
• Experience in photometric measurements and results analysis would be an advantage
• You are a graduate engineer in Mechanical / Electronics or Physics Engineering
• You need to be fluent in English; German would be an advantage
As an Optics Engineer, your main task will be to develop the complete optical systems of the lamps, such as reflectors or lens(es) systems, here including also the light sources.
• Design optical surfaces within optical systems using CATIA V5 and Hella CAL environment
• Define correct light sources for each function within single or multifunctional lamps such as LED’s or bulbs
• You have to design correctly each part within optical system from technological point of view (draft angles, parting line, radiuses, etc)
• Define materials and parameters for each part within optical systems
• Perform light simulations (luminous intensity, illuminance, luminance) using Hella CAL system
• Through CAL simulation programs you must to ensure that the legal and customer requirements are fulfilled
• Understand legal requirements for automotive lamps for different standards: ECE, SAE, CCC, etc
• Give your input and have a good communication with colleagues from other technical areas especially with the ones from mechanical design and electronic design
• During qualification and homologation phase of the lamps, attend and give inputs during first photometric measurements. Analyze and compare results achieved in the simulations with the first ones from measurements.
• Support and troubleshoot for series lamps from production during COP measurements
• Find alternative light sources for LED’s mainly due to discontinuation of the actual ones