Head of Portal Operations Romania for Portal team in Portal
About the company
As part of United Internet Group, with more than 9400 employees and 25 million fee-based customer contracts, we are Europe’s leading internet specialist and largest hoster. Building the roof for strong brands such as 1&1, IONOS, STRATO, GMX, WEB DE, MAIL COM, 1&1 Versatel and the Drillisch Online brands, United Internet offers a broad portfolio of Internet access products and cloud applications.
Present in Romania since 2003, we are an Engineering Centre that lives and breathes technology.
Our engineering culture is shaped by the use of cloud native technologies, microservices combined with a DevOps attitude and an innovative mindset. We have a customer centric culture where every colleague is a contributor to our products’ design and success working closely with teams in Bucharest and abroad. Our strength lies in our team spirit and a positive and respectful interaction. In Romania, we have passionate teams sustaining the business segments of Access/Telecommunication, Mail & Media and Hosting, working and enjoying the 1&1 culture together.
About the team
As part of the United Internet Group, the WEB.DE and GMX portals serve a stock of several million customers with paid premium digital products. 1&1 Mail & Media operates WEB.DE and GMX, two of Germany's largest Internet portals, as well as mail.com, an Internet portal catering to an international audience. Through these brands, we are able to reach over 41 million users monthly, hosting 55% of Germany’s email accounts.
In addition to a large editorial news section and Germany's by far most popular free e-mail service, 1&1 Mail & Media offers paid subscriptions to a variety of internet-based services, such as paid e-mail accounts, virus protection software or webhosting services. In Romania, we are developing applications related to calendar, mobile messaging, online office, webhosting, online sweepstakes, fax submission, customer care tooling, and machine learning solutions.
- Recruit, lead and develop a team of Operations Engineers
- You will support the transformation to a product driven organization
- “Run” accountable for our products and you will be able to act hands-on for strategic projects
- Collaborate with stakeholders in a variety of functions such as development, QA, product management, sales, customer care, legal or finance.
- Influence the development of our operating platforms (CD / CI, Kubernetes, storage, databases, etc.) to respond to your products needs
- You will be actively involved in the conception of system architectures as well as the strategic and technical roadmap design
- You will drive the continuous optimization of availability, scalability, latency and efficiency.
- You will develop a strategy for 24/7 availability of the systems, which also takes deployments through software development into account.
- You define goals and pursue their implementation; you coach Operations Engineers and support them in the sense of a servant leader approach.
- Contribute and be part of the Portal Operations division of 1&1 Mail & Media mainly located in Germany: Karlsruhe and Munich
We are currently looking for a colleague to help us further develop these great products:
- You have a technical degree and several years of management experience in development and operation
- Strong leadership skills / coaching & mentoring expertise
- Good understanding of project management (especially Agile, OKRs is a plus) and software engineering life cycle
- Strong communication skills
- You can create a vision for IT operations, define OKRs, further develop the organization on your area into a DevOPS culture and drive the transformation towards automation and (container) platforms.
- You are familiar with the implementation of IT, configuration as code, fault tolerance and network security.
- You have experience with system design as well as software design of distributed systems.
- You are up-to-date with the latest technologies such as Kubernetes, Istio, Grafana, Prometheus, Elastic Search, Kibana and GoCD or gitlab CI.
- You are result-oriented, work in a structured way and are open to constructive discussions.
- German language is a plus.