Internship Program for Software Development Engineer - 2021 (Iasi) @Amazon
Do you want to solve business challenges through innovative technology? Do you enjoy working on cutting-edge, scalable services technology in a team environment? Do you like working on industry-defining projects that move the needle? At Amazon, we hire the best minds in technology to innovate and build on behalf of our customers. The intense focus we have on our customers is why we are one of the world’s most beloved brands – customer obsession is part of our company DNA. Our interns write real software and collaborate with a selected group of experienced software development engineers who help interns on projects that matter to our customers.
As an intern, you will be matched to a manager and a mentor. You will have the opportunity to impact the evolution of Amazon technology as well as lead mission critical projects early in your career. Your design, code, and raw smarts will contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the areas of distributed systems, data mining, automation, optimization, scalability, and security – just to name a few. In addition to working on an impactful project, you will have the opportunity to engage with Amazonians for both personal and professional development, expand your network, and participate in fun activities with other interns throughout internship. No matter the location of your internship, we give you the tools to own your project and learn in a real world setting. Many of our technologies overlap—you would be hard pressed to find a team that is not using Amazon Web Services (AWS), touching the catalogue, or iterating services to better personalize for customers.
If this sounds interesting, come chart your own path at Amazon.
Amazon internships are full-time roles (40 hours/week) and vary in length to fit in with your school’s program. We are looking for candidates to join our software development engineer internship program for three to six months. Applicants should have at a minimum one quarter/semester remaining after their internship concludes.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
* Collaborate with experienced cross-disciplinary Amazonians to conceive, design, and bring to market innovative products and services.
* Design and build innovative technologies in a large distributed computing environment and help lead fundamental changes in the industry.
* Create solutions to run predictions on distributed systems with exposure to innovative technologies at incredible scale and speed.
* Build distributed storage, index, and query systems that are scalable, fault-tolerant, low cost, and easy to manage/use.
* Ability to design and code the right solutions starting with broadly defined problems.
* Work in an agile environment to deliver high quality software.
BASIC CRITERIA * 16 years old at a minimum.
* Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related fields at time of application
* Although no specific programming language is required – you should have knowledge/experience with the syntax of languages such as Java, C/C++, or Python
* Knowledge of computer science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Previous technical internship(s) if applicable
* Experience with distributed, multi-tiered systems, algorithms, and relational databases
* Experience in optimization mathematics such as linear programming and nonlinear optimization
* A good understanding of Linux networking and OS internals.
* Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
* Adept at handling ambiguous or undefined problems as well as ability to think abstractly
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. For an update on your status, or to confirm your application was submitted successfully, please login to your candidate portal. Please note that Amazon works with a high volume of applicants. We appreciate your patience as we review applications for future Amazonians.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Agenda and Internal Selection Procedure
You can submit your application either via “stagii pe bune” platform or directly to amazon.jobs website starting with February 20th 2019. We do not have an application deadline but we encourage you to apply early.
The assessment process consists of an online technical test, a phone interview and onsite or video interview. This process is subject to changes; we will provide information in advance for each candidate.
The recommended start for the internship program is July 8th for the duration of 3 months; however, we are flexible on the start date and duration within the legal limits. The deadline for signing the internship contract is one day before the internship start date.
During the Internship Program, you will have to carry out theoretical and practical tasks specific to the position of Software Development Engineer (SDE/DevOps) under the direct coordination and supervision of your tutor, respectively:
* Create, improve or invent, small tools or applications.
* Write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects, being proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is appropriate to use them, and when it is not.
* Take a defined design and turn it into code and deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and current software engineering best practices, seeking input and guidance from their mentor.
* Make appropriate implementation trade-off decisions (e.g. array or hash table?).
* Clearly document your software to ensure that future generations of developers understand the intention behind the features and components they build.
* Do not put the company at risk (e.g. pulling in unlicensed code, working on code in unsafe ways, etc.).
* Participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions, seeking to learn the business context and technologies behind their team’s software.
* Assume responsibility for the state of the code they both inherit and produce, getting their designs and code reviewed, and their code tested thoroughly.
* Be responsible for classifying, storing, and handling data in accordance with Amazon policies.
* Identify security risks and mitigate and/or escalate them in a timely manner.
* Troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects. Take ownership of problems and propose solutions.
Key Terms of the Internship Contract
* The Internship Program takes place during summer for a duration of 3 months and consists of 40 hours per week of activity. The duration can be longer, within the legal limits.
* For your activity performed during the Internship Program, you will receive at least a gross monthly internship indemnity of RON 950.
* The work schedule is individualized, according to article 118 of the Labour Code, and the flexible distribution of the 8 working hours per day shall be made as follows:
o arrival and departure hours to and from work place may be chosen by the Employee within the flexible time frame consisting in: 08:00 – 11:00 and 17:00 – 20:00, from Monday to Friday;
o the Employee will be present at his/her work place within the fix time frame consisting in: 11:00 - 17:00, from Monday to Friday;
* Both individual and team work
* The compensation is according to the individual labour contract signed between the employer and the employee
* Benefits of the vacation leave according to the individual labour contract * The activity takes place at the employer’s office SC Amazon Development Center (Romania) SRL 27 Sf. Lazar Street, Iași, Iași County, 700045, Romania
* Programmer, Code 251202
Responsibilities and obligations regarding health & safety and working conditions.
Regarding work discipline, you are responsible for:
* Permanently improving your professional expertise;
* Keeping confidential company related information and documents;
* Using the received resources only in the company’s interest;
* Complying with the internal regulations and provisions, and work procedures related to your position;
* Permanently adopting a behavior that promotes the company’s image and interests;
* Getting involved in solving crises that might affect the company.
Regarding labor protection, their responsibilities are:
* To develop your activity, in compliance with the level of instruction that you possess, as well as the instruction received from the employer, so that you will not expose yourself to accidents, dangers or professional diseases for you and other people that can be affected by your actions or omissions during working process;
* To correctly use the machines, devices, tools, dangerous substances, transportation equipment and any other productions means;
* To correctly use the provided individual protection equipment and, after usage, to retrieve or to deposit it in the provided place;
* Not to proceed to disabling, modifying, changing or arbitrary removing of the security devices, especially machines, devices, tools, technical installations and buildings, and to use correctly these devices;
* To instantly communicate to the employer and/or the designated employees any work situation that can represent a danger for the security and well-being of the employees, as well as any deficiency in the protection systems;
* To announce to the employer regarding the accidents suffered by their own person;
* To cooperate with the employer and/or with the designated employees, as long as necessary, in order to facilitate any measures or requirements asked by the Labor Inspectors and Sanitary Inspectors, for the protection of the well-being and security of the employees;
* To cooperate, as long as necessary, with the employer and/or with the designated employees, in order to allow the employer to assure that the working environment and working conditions are safe, without any risks on security and well-being, in the field of activity;
* To know and respect the legal provisions from the security and labor medicine field and their application measures;
* To provide the answers required by the Labor Inspectors and Sanitary Inspectors.
EU Student Programs Team