Key Goal: Responsible for building and maintaining the codebase that powers both our customer APIs as well as internal service APIs.
Who We Are – MassMutual
As the complexity in the world continues to increase, it’s getting hard to get simple. At MassMutual, our vision is to help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. Within MassMutual Technology, we have undergone some recent changes to simplify our organization to deliver on this vision. We will be a dependable partner to our businesses by providing high quality IT services on time and within budget. We will do so by simplifying our architecture to focus on strategically valuable technologies, investing in our people to equip them with skills of the future, and promoting a culture of ownership and delivery.
If this vision excites you, we are seeking a Software Engineer to become a MassMutual team member. This is a great opportunity to be a part of the transformational journey at MassMutual. As we continue to grow our business and look for new ways to engage with customers, technology will be one of the most important enablers to our success and you can be a part of it.
Do you want to be part of a team that implements and manages data integration services across MassMutual Organization, delivering value to multiple stakeholders such as internal operations as well as external customers? Then the team from MassMutual Romania is waiting for you. We create API and streaming services that are the core to the functioning of several systems in the company.
The Software Engineer will work from our Bucharest office while collaborating with the Global MassMutual teams and provide support in the data integration services area. The person who will join this role will report to a local manager based in Bucharest.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated software engineer with a passion to learn new technologies and to become an expert in API delivery and event driven architecture (BEM, Kafka). It will provide you visibility to how multiple systems operate around MassMutual. As we grow and scale our organization to deliver more services, we have to manage technical debt that we have, and improve uptime of our current APIs. This role will be in a squad that will drive tech debt remediation of multiple APIs as well as support strategic initiatives to build these services. The team will also eventually be responsible for Production Support and members will be required to be on call during user peak time. The squad will be the driving force of ensuring quality is maintained and APIs maintain the required uptime.
This is a role for engineers that are familiar with standard web backend architecture, and capable in database design and interaction. You will be working closely with the team in USA to understand the functional needs of their product requirements, developing new code to solve new problems, as well as maintaining existing code to squash bugs. Our API platform is under constant load and scrutiny, so experience and commitment to easily understood and tested code is also a key part of the role.
▪ Build and maintain APIs & Kafka Integrations:
o Supporting on premise and cloud platform environments such as AWS
o Develop, integrate and test run time execution of APIs.
▪ Analyze performance requirements and performance of current APIs and actively remediate tech debt with those.
▪ Assist in production setup, monitoring and roll out to partners.
▪ Active “developer on call” to support maintenance and issue remediation of the APIs:
o Debugging existing software and correcting defects.
▪ Contribute to the conceptual and physical design of application integration using APIs and events.
▪ Integrating existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
▪ Writing or reviewing software system documentation and ability to share knowledge is a must.
▪ Be able to “debug” a code; critically think to highlight where issues are coming from.
▪ Java Web applications • RESTful Services • Java Message Service (JMS)
▪ Spring Framework knowledge and experience
▪ Experience with design/prototyping
▪ At least 1 year of experience in developing REST services using Java or Node.js
▪ Able to implement processes and troubleshoot to continue to improve operational stability
▪ DevOps experience and API Management Suite experience, both represent a plus
▪ Experience and understanding of Kubernetes (preferred)
▪ Experience with GitHub or GitLab
▪ Experience with generating technical documentation
▪ Experience using with Jira and Confluence
▪ Agile Methodology - comfortable working in a scrum environment
▪ Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Business Information Systems or equivalent educational or professional experience, and/or qualifications with at least 2-5 years of experience in software development.
▪ Learner - shouldn’t be shy to learn any new technology.
▪ Quality Focused - should believe in code quality and be able to highlight challenges/issues with current code.
▪ Shift left mentality - i.e. quality is owned by the team rather than just a QA tester.
▪ Clear and effective communication skills - verbal and written.
▪ Critical Thinking - ability to dive into a problem, dig in to help SDETs and then pull up as needed.
▪ Ability to visualize the flow of data through a complex application is critical to your success, and to the team.