Data Science Internship
As market leader in enterprise application software, SAP helps companies of all sizes and industries innovate through simplification. From the back office to the boardroom, warehouse to storefront, on premise to cloud, desktop to mobile device – SAP empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively to stay ahead of the competition. SAP applications and services enable customers to operate profitably, adapt continuously, and grow sustainably.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SAP is the largest European software company with more than 75,600 employees all over the world, providing business application software to companies of all industries and all sizes.
SAP is currently expanding the global Data Science and Machine Learning team that is responsible for building advanced analytics solution content and driving innovation initiatives from a business to a data science perspective. The SAP Data Science and Machine Learning team brings value to its customers by helping them map Data Science solutions that improve business results based on scientific analysis of large amounts of business data.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
A Data Scientist executes the mathematical modelling of our customers’ business problems, develops algorithms and applications to solve these problems, and helps our customers directly to understand and implement the results of the analysis. In this role, the Data Scientist works directly with industry experts and technology experts to translate our customers’ business needs into mathematical models, present, and deliver a solution to the client. This position requires the ability to work and communicate as a part of a high performance team in an international environment.
- Database servers: HANA, ORACLE, SQL Server
- Mathematical modelling: R, MatLab, Python
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
NICE TO HAVE:
- Big Data experience (Hadoop)
- Experience in building innovative algorithms
- PhD in Mathematics, Science or Informatics
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
In addition to a strong scientific and IT background, the position requires strong problem-solving and consulting capabilities with the ability to communicate effectively in an international team environment.
The ideal candidate covers a major part of the following expertise areas:
- University degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Informatics or Cybernetics
- Strong background in mathematics and statistics
- Strong background software development experience
- Experience in mathematical modelling and optimization
- Excellent understanding of statistical and technical methods to produce relevant insights out of huge amounts of data
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly new mathematical or technical methods with little guidance
- Ability to inspire confidence and work with all levels of client and internal staff
- Ability to deliver clear, concise presentations to non-scientific audiences
- High energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethic; “can do” attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- English at advanced level is a must.
CUSTOMER FACING SKILLS:
- Ability to capture customer requirements and translate them into software specifications
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and precise manner; with non-technical audience
- Professional appearance and demeanor
Presentation skills – ability to create professional presentations, handle proper setup of location, use technical/visual aid, have adequate body language and vocabulary, proactively engage with customer and handle questions