Booking Holdings Romania - Senior Big Data Developer
Booking Holdings Romania is a Center of Excellence based in Bucharest, Romania and was created to support the increasing business demands of the Booking Holdings Brands. The Center of Excellence provides access to specialized and highly skilled talent, leading industry best practices, and collaboration opportunities across all of our Brands.
As part of our Booking Holdings Romania team, you will have the opportunity to be a part of the world's leading provider of online travel, with a mission of making it easier for everyone to experience the world through six-primary consumer facing brands: Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, KAYAK, OpenTable and Rentalcars.com.
Do you want to learn & influence how we protect and secure accounts at a large scale at Booking.com? Are you interested in helping build the next generation of machine learning capabilities to detect, prevent & remediate credential stuffing, fake accounts and phishing related attacks? Do you want to build, own and deploy scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems?
Booking.com's Account Security area is seeking a passionate Senior Big Data Developer who wants to protect the world's largest travel platform against attacks to its account & authorisation systems. Your skills will be the foundation of security initiatives that protect the security and privacy of all our customers, partners, and employees.
As a Senior Big Data Developer, you will be working with stakeholders throughout the company to ensure we have high quality data to power our business in all departments. Decisions for every part of our business - from the frontend experience, performance marketing to partner products - are driven by petabytes of data via MySQL, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc.
Your challenge will be to make sure we can utilize our data even more effectively to support business decisions and improve our products. Joining a multi-functional team of developers, designers, data scientists, and product owners, we invite you to help us crunch the data to ensure our place as the planet's #1 accommodation site.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Rapidly crafting and developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance data pipelines, platforms and frameworks;
- Identifying and solving issues with data pipelines regarding consistency, integrity, and completeness
- Prioritizing data quality issues based on customer impact, and building solutions that prevent them from happening again by detecting and resolving root causes
- Having end-to-end ownership of data quality in our core datasets and data pipelines
- Driving exploration of new tools and technologies to meet business requirements regarding performance, scaling, and data streaming
- Building and providing tools that improve Data Quality business-unit wide
- Making integrations between multiple applications, tools, and services, both on premise and in the cloud
- Defining and building effective monitoring of data, and jumping in to handle outages
- Acting as a technical leader for resolving problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Mentoring, coaching, and steering colleagues across technical challenges
- Ability to work alone and self-steer initiatives; influencing the community of engineers
- Drive the culture across the business unit for data quality and its best practices
- Supporting the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
Role Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the field, working with systems and data infrastructure at scale
- Proficiency in 1 or more server side programming languages -- preferably Java, Python or Scala.
- Experience with crafting and building large scale data pipelines in distributed environments with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark and MySQL.
- Proven experience with SQL, Spark API and CQL, etc.
- Proven experience working with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience running Spark on Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience using scheduled workflow management tools such as Apache Airflow or Argo
- Hands on experience of developing in and working on the open source data technologies
- Ability to drive and take the lead in projects from a technical perspective
- Ability to understand and formulate meaningful business metrics
- Good understanding of basic analytics and machine learning concepts
- Preferably a university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related fields
- Excellent communication (written and spoken) and stakeholder management.
Benefits & Perks
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Vast amounts of data to validate your ideas and the opportunity to experiment with real users
Booking Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.