Booking Holdings Romania - Big Data Developer
Booking Holdings Romania is a Center of Excellence based in Bucharest, Romania and was created to support the increasing business demands of the Booking Holdings Brands. The Center of Excellence provides access to specialized and highly skilled talent, leading industry best practices, and collaboration opportunities across all of our Brands.
As part of our Booking Holdings Romania team, you will have the opportunity to be a part of the world's leading provider of online travel, with a mission of making it easier for everyone to experience the world through six-primary consumer facing brands: Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, KAYAK, OpenTable and Rentalcars.com.
Do you want to learn & influence how we protect and secure accounts at a large scale at Booking.com? Are you interested in helping build the next generation of machine learning capabilities to detect, prevent & remediate credential stuffing, fake accounts and phishing related attacks? Do you want to build, own and deploy scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems?
Booking.com's Account Security area is seeking a passionate Big Data Developer who wants to protect the world's largest travel platform against attacks to its account & authorisation systems. Your skills will be the foundation of security initiatives that protect the security and privacy of all our customers, partners, and employees.
The Big Data Developer is an individual contributor who is responsible for independently development and delivery of end-to-end data solutions. You will support solution envisaging and technical designs, and drive hands-on implementation. You need to support the influencing, differentiation, and guidance to business and technology strategies, as they relate to data, through constant cross-functional interaction. You ask the right questions to the right people in order to align data strategy with commercial strategy, demonstrating technical expertise and business knowledge.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Drive efficiency and resilience by mapping data flows between systems and workflows across the company
- Ensure standardisation by following design patterns in line with global and local data governance requirements"
- Support real- time internal and customer- facing actions by developing real- time event- based streaming data pipelines
- Enable rapid data- driven business decisions by developing efficient and scalable data ingestion solutions
- Drive high- value data by connecting different disparate datasets from different systems into a well- managed unified solution
- Own end- to- end data and data applications by defining, monitoring and adjusting relevant SLIs and SLOs
- Handle, mitigate and learn from incidents in a manner that improves the overall system health
- Ensure accuracy by developing criteria, automation, and processes for data production, transport, transform, and storage
- Ensure compliance with data- related requirements by building solutions in line with all applicable standards and regulations
- Ensure ongoing resilience of data processes by monitoring system performance and acting proactively identifying bottlenecks, potential risks, and failure point that might degrade overall quality
- Write readable and reusable code by applying standard patterns and using standard libraries
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in big data engineering and related technologies, and upskilling on these as needed.
- Actively contribute to Big Data Engineering at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues.
- You are a role model of the Booking.com values:
- Thrive on change and get things done
- Demand a high standard of excellence in their craft
- Embrace the opportunity to improve
- Understand success starts with accountability and ownership
- Care more about being successful and reaching goals together than individually
- Curious, experiments and continuously learns
- Humble, open, friendly and remembers that diversity gives us strength
Role Qualifications and Requirements
- Level of Education: Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field or Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
- Years of relevant Job Knowledge:
- 3+ years of experience in a data engineering or related field using a server side programming languages, preferably Scala, Java, Python, or Perl
- 2+ years of experience building data pipelines and transformations at scale, with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, MySQL
- 1+ years of experience in data modeling,
- 1+ years of experience handling data streaming
- Requirements of special knowledge/skills
- Basic knowledge of data modeling methods based on best practices, e.g. TOGAF
- Basic knowledge of data governance requirements based on best practices, e.g. DAMA, and tooling for continuous automated data governance activities
- Intermediate knowledge of data quality requirements and implementation methodologies
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
Benefits & Perks
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Vast amounts of data to validate your ideas and the opportunity to experiment with real users
Booking Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.