Head of Infrastructure and Network Development team in Hosting
About the company
As part of United Internet Group, with more than 9400 employees and 25 million fee-based customer contracts, we are Europe’s leading internet specialist and largest hoster. Building the roof for strong brands such as 1&1, IONOS, STRATO, GMX, WEB DE, MAIL COM, 1&1 Versatel and the Drillisch Online brands, United Internet offers a broad portfolio of Internet access products and cloud applications.
Present in Romania since 2003, we are an Engineering Centre that lives and breathes technology.
Our engineering culture is shaped by the use of cloud native technologies, microservices combined with a DevOps attitude and an innovative mindset. We have a customer centric culture where every colleague is a contributor to our products’ design and success working closely with teams in Bucharest and abroad. Our strength lies in our team spirit and a positive and respectful interaction. In Romania, we have passionate teams sustaining the business segments of Access/Telecommunication, Mail & Media and Hosting, working and enjoying the 1&1 culture together.
About the team
We are looking for someone passionate about heading our Infrastructure and Networking Development Team in order to provide excellent products, service and support. The Infrastructure and Network Development Team – part of Domains and Global Platform Hosting Department - is responsible for the development of internal tooling used for 1&1 Internet / IONOS, both backend platform and frontend management UIs. We are an experienced team developing applications and tools that are used in a very complex ecosystem.
Active projects are focusing on developing Orchestrators for Datacenter and Network infrastructure. We are staying in contact with DevOps technologies like Kubernetes / OpenShift, Docker containers, Jenkins and others. We are working in a very friendly environment and we support each team member to evolve and learn new technologies.
We have a proficiency in Open Source technologies and encourage every member to become a contributor to different Open Source projects. This role reports into the Head of Domains & Global Platform Hosting.
- Recruiting, managing and maintaining an excellent engineering team
- Planning and executing complex technical projects related to Infrastructure and Networking tooling
- Collaboration with technical leads
- Oversee and contribute to the overall architecture, design and development of Infrastructure and Networking projects
- Managing software project schedules
- Maintaining and improving team performance and quality of life
- Developing processes to improve product performance and quality
- Ensuring successful product and feature rollouts, as well as reliable operations
- Creating a healthy team culture and transparent communication
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring and one-to-one meetings
- Planning and executing training for the engineering team
We are currently looking for a colleague to help us further develop these great products:
- Agile mindset and extensive experience with modern development practices
- Experience managing, coaching and mentoring software engineers
- Experience with cloud technologies and distributed systems
- Domain specific knowledge of infrastructure and network principles
- Solid hands-on experience with network operations including complex HA setups
- Experience in shipping products and coordinating releases with relevant players
- Experience developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support and product teams
- Solid command of architectural principles and proven experience in designing and developing large scale infrastructure & network systems
- Experience with end-to-end quality best practices and their implementation
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, building and retaining teams
- Experience conveying complex ideas in written, verbal and presentational formats
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes Operators and GoLang is a bonus but not required