Software Engineer for Network Services team in Hosting
As part of United Internet Group, with more than 9400 employees and 25 million fee-based customer contracts, we are Europe’s leading internet specialist and largest hoster. Building the roof for strong brands such as 1&1, IONOS, STRATO, GMX, WEB DE, MAIL COM, 1&1 Versatel and the Drillisch Online brands, United Internet offers a broad portfolio of Internet access products and cloud applications. Present in Romania since 2003, we are an Engineering Centre that lives and breathes technology. Our engineering culture is shaped by the use of cloud native technologies, microservices combined with a DevOps attitude and an innovative mindset. We have a customer centric culture where every colleague is a contributor to our products’ design and success working closely with teams in Bucharest and abroad. Our strength lies in our team spirit and a positive and respectful interaction. In Romania, we have passionate teams sustaining the business segments of Access/Telecommunication, Mail & Media and Hosting, working and enjoying the 1&1 culture together.
About the team
The IONOS Platform as a Service - Network Services team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced software engineer. The Network Services team focuses on developing and maintaining network functions for our customers, whether its load balancers, web application firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual routers or VPN gateways. In any IT, setup there is a need for network services beyond mere connectivity. Our customers rely on us to provide rock-solid building blocks, and this team is delivering many of them, upwards of and including layer 4. The team builds ships and runs these services. This is a development-focussed team.
In a Cloud environment, the customers expect API first self-service, immediate delivery and complete automation. Thus, our weapons of choice are GoLang, GitOps and CI/CD - not root shells and bash scripts.
Our teams are responsible for the entire lifecycle of the service: we build it, we ship it, and we run it. We are looking for someone to join our team and work with us on providing the best product possible. This role reports to the Engineering Manager: PaaS Network Services.
- Programming in Go and other languages
- Collaborating with an agile and self-motivated team of peers
- Solving interesting problems in a dynamic cloud environment
- Supporting the operations and management of distributed systems
- Continuously improving our build, test and deployment automation
- Continuously improving the quality and resilience of our services
We are currently looking for a colleague to help us further develop these great products:
- Experience developing, testing and deploying well-engineered code, preferably in Go
- Constructive contributions to design and architecture discussions
- Experience in working with cloud environments
- Experience with Kubernetes container orchestration and helm charts
- Experience building Kubernetes operators, controllers and CRDs
- Experience operating and troubleshooting production environments
- Experience with traffic analysis
- Experience with packet filtering, load balancing and TLS
- Familiarity with lower-layer network functions such as routing, traffic shaping,tunneling and NAT
- Experience with the Linux operating system, including Linux networking