Head of Virtual Network Functions for Network Services team in Hosting
As part of United Internet Group, with more than 9400 employees and 25 million fee-based customer contracts, we are Europe’s leading internet specialist and largest hoster. Building the roof for strong brands such as 1&1, IONOS, STRATO, GMX, WEB DE, MAIL COM, 1&1 Versatel and the Drillisch Online brands, United Internet offers a broad portfolio of Internet access products and cloud applications. Present in Romania since 2003, we are an Engineering Centre that lives and breathes technology. Our engineering culture is shaped by the use of cloud native technologies, microservices combined with a DevOps attitude and an innovative mindset. We have a customer centric culture where every colleague is a contributor to our products’ design and success working closely with teams in Bucharest and abroad. Our strength lies in our team spirit and a positive and respectful interaction. In Romania, we have passionate teams sustaining the business segments of Access/Telecommunication, Mail & Media and Hosting, working and enjoying the 1&1 culture together.
About the team
We are looking for someone passionate about heading our PaaS Network Services team in order to provide excellent products, service and support. The IONOS Platform as a Service - Network Services team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical manager to support our engineers and lead the team that develops and runs our VNF related products.
This person will be responsible for motivating and monitoring engineers, provide coaching and aid in personal growth and development. The Network Services team focuses on developing and maintaining network functions for our customers, whether it’s load balancers, web application firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual routers or VPN gateways. In any IT setup there is a need for network services beyond mere connectivity. Our customers rely on us to provide rock-solid building blocks, and this team is delivering many of them, upwards of and including layer 4. The team builds, ships and runs these services.
This is a development focussed team. In a Cloud environment the customers expect API first self-service, immediate delivery and complete automation. Thus, our weapons of choice are GoLang, GitOps and CI/CD - not root shells and bash scripts. We are looking for someone strongly familiar with teams and processes, who will be accountable for the engineering team’s performance and quality. As such, you will also manage recruitment of the team as we grow. This role reports into the Head of Engineering, Platform as a Service.
- Recruiting, managing and maintaining an excellent engineering team
- Planning and executing complex technical projects related to VNF service offerings
- Collaboration with technical leads
- Contribute to the overall architecture, design and development of VNF projects
- Managing software project schedules
- Maintaining and improving team performance and quality of life
- Developing processes to improve product performance and quality
- Ensuring successful product and feature rollouts, as well as reliable operations
- Creating a healthy team culture and transparent communication
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring and one-to-one meetings
- Planning and executing training for the engineering team
We are currently looking for a colleague to help us further develop these great products:
- Agile mindset and extensive experience with modern development practices
- Experience managing, coaching and mentoring software engineers
- Experience with cloud technologies and distributed systems
- Domain specific knowledge of VNFs and network principles
- Solid hands-on experience with network operations including complex HA setups
- Experience in shipping products and coordinating releases with relevant players
- Experience developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support and product teams
- Experience with end-to-end quality best practices and their implementation
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, building and retaining teams
- Experience conveying complex ideas in written, verbal and presentational formats
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes Operators and GoLang is a bonus but not required