Supply specialists are usually responsible for the management of local purchases, international commissions, import and stock management in complex environments. Additionally, in this position you are responsible for organising the transport by truck or plane, also considering local means of transport and road and weather conditions.
As a supply specialist you ensure the management processes according to local laws and Médecins sans frontières policies. You are responsible that all the necessary medical and non-medical supplies for the projects are available on time. Often you will be supported by a team of local employees which you supervise and train accordingly.
Since many materials need to be purchased locally, you will also have to negotiate prices and quantities with local suppliers. For material coming from outside the mission country you have to place orders and take care of the customs clearance.
- Relevant technical expertise and vocational training
- Minimum of two years work experience in logistics, supply, transport or procurement
- Improvisation skills, high process orientation, affinity for numbers, ability to negotiate with authorities and administrative bodies
- Fluent English and French
- Availability of at least nine to twelve months