Senior Flight Control Law Engineer – Handling Qualities
Lilium is a disruptive aviation start-up based in Munich. Co-founded in 2015 by Daniel Wiegand, Sebastian Born, Patrick Nathen and Matthias Meiner, the team brings together international world-class engineers and designers.
The group shares the vision of a completely new type of individual transportation and is dedicated to develop and build the world’s first fully electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) jet. An estimated range of up to 300 km and a top speed of 300 km/h, along with zero emissions make it the most efficient and eco-friendly individual means of transportation of our time. By providing ultra-redundancy, the Lilium Jet will also set new standards in safety.
Lilium aims at liberating towns and cities from today’s congestion and pollution, with people able to come and go freely, vastly expanding the radius of their everyday lives.
- M. Sc. in aeronautical engineering or similar degree
- Min. 5 years of professional experience in aircraft subpart B certification (CS.23/25 and/or CS.27/29) with fly-by-wire systems
- In-depth knowledge on aerodynamics, control systems, and aircraft dynamics
- Profound experience with flight testing of fly-by-wire aircraft
- Very good skills in project management and team coordination
- Good skills in Matlab/Simulink
- High level of self-reliance and an autonomous target-oriented work style is a must
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, Fluent German or any other language would be beneficial
In this position you will become part of our exceptionally talented flight control laws team with direct report to our Head of Flight Control Laws. Owing to the fact that handling qualities is a highly interdisciplinary topic, you will also work closely with our Flight Physics, Modeling and Simulation, Flight Test, and Airworthiness teams.
This role is focused on the handling qualities aspects in Subpart B of the applicable certification specifications. On all involved topics the successful applicant will have an end-to-end responsibility for the definition of system requirements, the development of a validation and verification plan, and the planning/coordination/analysis/documentation of resulting pilot-in-the-loop tests in simulated environments or flight tests. As a senior flight control law engineer handling qualities you will leverage your experience for the certification of Lilium’s flight control laws and for the guidance of junior team members. In this position you will actively shape the development and growth of the flight control law team.
Your Day to Day:
- Investigations of the open-loop (without feedback control laws) and closed-loop (with feedback control laws) aircraft behavior with focus on handling qualities
- Proposing aircraft handling qualities requirements for aircraft design and feedback control laws
- Planning, execution, and documentation of validation activities on proposed handling requirements together with our flight test team on different integration levels
- Planning, execution, and documentation of verification activities for validated handling qualities requirements with our flight test team on different integration levels
- Preparation and presentation of handling qualities activities on certification authorities audits
- Contribution to analyses and trade-off studies together with chief engineering
- Actively shaping the processes and frameworks of the flight control law team and across interfacing teams
- Coaching and mentoring of junior team members
- Ad-hoc tasks and troubleshooting
Welcome to the future
Elegance, speed, comfort and sustainability – fusing to a new form of traveling. The Lilium aircraft is the only means of transportation that can meet the demands of future mobility and therefore shape it now. We are introducing the world's first electric vertical take-off and landing jet. Our ambition is to engineer, manufacture Lilium Jets, as well as create an end to end air transportation service on demand, operating around the world.
Lilium is a globally acclaimed Startup creating a revolution in personal transportation and e-mobility with secured funding and proven technologies (several flying prototypes). To date, the company raised over 100 million USD from two rounds of funding, with global top VCs and funds backing the company’s vision. We are a highly energetic and ambitious team with world-class investors who value outstanding talent, serious creativity and elaborate innovation.
At Lilium, you will work with the world´s most talented engineers, designers and thought leaders to revolutionize the way people travel. We apply an exceptional breadth and depth to our work, we are incredibly focused onto our mission and we are therefore looking for people like us who are continuously striving towards perfection. If you, too, are filled with the insatiable need to grow, to innovate and to create don‘t hesitate to grasp this exclusive opportunity.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on competence, performance, and business needs